Premises Liability, Slip & Fall Accidents and Dog Bites

If you, a family member, or friend have slipped, fallen, been bitten or attacked by a dog or animal, or been injured while at a home, at a business, on land, or on property owned by another person, business, or the government, then you probably have questions and concerns that need to be answered. In the event that you sustained an injury or have a health condition, please seek medical attention immediately to ensure your personal health and safety. Like most people, you want to ensure that any injury or health condition is immediately addressed by a trained physician. If you sustained an injury or are experiencing pain or unusual symptoms, then you may be risking your personal health and safety by not seeking medical attention. Waiting for your pain or symptoms to resolve on their own may adversely affect your health, give an advantage to those responsible in claiming that your injuries are not related to the incident.

In addition to seeking medical attention, it is important to document and keep any physical evidence concerning the incident. You made need this evidence later to ensure that those responsible properly evaluate your claim and compensate you for your injuries. Among other evidence, you may need to obtain the incident report, photographs of the scene, photographs of your injuries, copies of your medical records and medical bills, and witness statements. In the event that you are forced to file a lawsuit to protect your rights and obtain just compensation, you will need this and other evidence to prove your case.

Generally, property owners have a duty to exercise reasonable care in ensuring the safety of others. In many instances, a property owner may have a duty to warn others of a dangerous condition and fix or repair a dangerous condition to prevent injury to others. Premises cases take many different forms, including but not limited to incidents involving slip and falls, trip and falls, falling products, water and theme park injuries, work injuries, electrocution, assault, and rape. These types of incidents may result from an activity or condition in a building or even outside of a building on a sidewalk or parking lot.

You probably have questions concerning whether to report the incident, what to do if you did not report the incident at the time it occurred, whether to give a written or recorded statement, whether the owner has insurance, and whether you should provide your health insurance, Tricare, Medicare, or Medicaid information to the physicians who treat you for the injuries you sustained as a result of the incident.

If you, a family member, or friend have been injured, then it is critical to ensure that you act quickly. It is essential to contact an attorney to preserve and photograph evidence relating to the incident and scene, to contact witnesses, to ensure that you obtain medical attention, and to secure other evidence surrounding the incident. An attorney may be able to answer your questions, ensure that you obtain the medical attention you need, hire an investigator, take steps to preserve evidence, contact witnesses, and advise you with regard to the value of your claim.